With the WCF REST Starter Tool Kit, we had a very cool feature called Paste XML as Type which basically allows you to copy an xml document and paste in the xml as a .Net type / class. In Visual Studio 2008 this feature is available by simply installing the the WCF REST Starter Tool Kit. In Visual Studio 2010 we have to do a bit more work to get this feature. Here are the steps needed to get the Paste XML as Type feature to work with VS 2010.
- Download and install the WCF REST Starter Tool Kit
- Go to the installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft WCF REST\WCF REST Starter Kit Preview 2)
- Unzip and compile the PasteXmlAsType project under the “WCF REST Starter Kit Preview 2.zip” file
- Copy the *dll and PasteXmlAsType.AddIn files to one of the Addin folders. There are a few folders and you can also create your own. Just make sure the path is include in the “Add-In file path” list.
- Environment->Add-In/Macros Security item
- Restart Visual Studio
To see the Add-in file path list go to
The Paste XML as Type menu option will show up under the Edit menu.
Hope this help